A Not So Daily Dose of Daisy
Master of living a random, unpredictable life.
Maybe I Won’t Die After All
Categories: Sickness

On Wednesday morning I had an early morning flight from Portland, OR to San Antonio, TX with a short lay-over in Denver in between. I am so used to this 6:10 am flight that it didn’t even phase me. But then something happened. Right as we started our final decent into SA I started to feel kinda funny. I figured that I was just thirsty because during my flights that day I had only drank one bottle of water instead of two. When I got off the plane I felt so warm… but hey, its San Antonio, right?

I got the truck out of long-term parking and headed straight to Lily’s school (in hindsight now I know that I could have beat her home if I had told her to take the bus). By the time I got to her school I was dragging. Lily was her usual bundle of energy as we drove home. When we got there Lily sat down at the table and I told her I was gonna go lay down in bed for a bit. She asked why. When I told her she responded with “Not this shit again”. Oh my.. evidently I struck a nerve. About 30 minutes later she said she was gonna go play in her room but first she wanted to take my temperature. It was sitting at like 99.5 but I told her it was gonna go up. A couple of hours later she came down and woke me up to tell me that she was hungry for dinner and that she needed to take my temperature again. She took it and when she read it she gasped and said “We need to go to the ER now. You have a temperature of 10,20”. I knew right away that she forgot about the decimal and it was only 102.0 but I still think it is to cute not to mention. She told me she would go ahead and make her own dinner. She ate then she got into bed with me and we both fell asleep. After a nice long night of sleep when I heard the alarm I figured I couldn’t possibly be worse… wrong. As I helped her get ready for school I was pretty sure I was going to fall over and die. I had zero energy, I was dizzy, I had a fever, a stomach ache, I was sweating like crazy and all I wanted to do was climb back in bed. One I got her out the door on the way to the bus I headed back to bed. I felt so bad that I didn’t even answer the door when the yard guy rang the bell for his check.. I even called and canceled Lily’s tutoring for the afternoon. Then I made one last call. I called my neighbors. I am not kidding when I tell you they are the worlds best neighbors in the world. They are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Yvette said to send Lily over when she got off school and she would amuse her until at least bedtime unless I wanted to let Lily sleep over there. I thought the sleeping over was a little much but Lily left around 4:00 for her house and I didn’t hear anything from her until almost 8:00 pm when I heard her whispering my name. I put on my robe and when I walked in the kitchen Yvette had made me some chicken soup.

The next morning I felt just as bad if not worse but there was a light at the end of the tunnel because JP landed at 2:30 pm that Friday. The only challenge would be to see if I could drive long enough to pick him up and make him drive us back home. I seriously considered telling him to take a taxi but that felt mean so I struggled through it. It was hard to concentrate and knowing what I know now I would never try it again even though the airport is only like 10 miles away. I can honestly tell everyone that I think sick driving is just as bad as drunk driving or texting and driving… at least it felt that way.

Here is the kicker… JP and I had tickets to fly to New England on Saturday morning. As soon as he got in the truck in the airport he told me he was canceling our trip… what??? NOOOO! I told him I will probably feel better tomorrow morning by the time we get on the flight… he just looked at me. Once we got home he changed the bed sheets (which was a blessing) and tucked me into bed. Then he headed off to the grocery store for a few things to make me better. I texted Lily’s dad and told him about our change of plans and he said to go ahead and bring her to him asap so that she doesn’t get sick. Once he got back he left again to drop her off at her dads. Ok so here I am at 6:00 pm on a Friday laying in bed dying and being pampered by the most amazing boyfriend ever! That continued though the day Saturday when my flu finally peaked at 103.8. I made a bunch of jokes about death and even asked him a couple of times if maybe I did something bad and it was a karma bug? Between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning he changed the pillows and sheets at least 6 times because of how much I was sweating.

The good news? As of now I think I am actually going to live. I still have a cough, I still feel warm but not feverish, I am still achy, and when I sit or stand my head feels to heavy for my neck… sooo dizzy!

The bad news? JP has a flight to New England tomorrow morning for a couple of days… with out me.

2 Comments to “Maybe I Won’t Die After All”

  1. Rich says:

    I hope your feeling better. 104 could cause major damage to your body. You must be very sick to stay in bed for four days. Please take care of your self.

  2. Vanessa says:

    Glad to hear your on the mend. Bummer about your trip. Love you.

Leave a Reply